Skip to Content

Reverse Mortgages: reporting possible fraud

(continued from Reverse Mortgages: How to Get a Good Deal)...

If you suspect that anyone is violating the law, let the counselor, lender, or loan servicer know. Then, file a complaint with:

  • your state Attorney General’s office or state banking regulatory agency, and
  • the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). You can do that online at or by phone, toll-free, at 1-877-FTC-HELP

Whether a reverse mortgage is right for you is a big question. Consider all your options. You may qualify for less costly alternatives. Contact the following organizations for more information:


AARP Foundation
601 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20049

U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
451 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20410

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580
1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357) 

ACCC’s HUD approved housing counseling agency offers HECM (reverse mortgage) counseling nationally and foreclosure counseling to Massachusetts residents. If you are seeking debt relief via housing counseling, contact ACCC here.

American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) offers consumer credit solutions ranging from debt counseling and debt consolidation relief, to pre-bankruptcy counseling and post-bankruptcy debtor education. If you are seeking debt consolidation options, ACCC offers a simple and effective consolidation program that's more prudent and beneficial than a debt settlement solution or taking out loans for debt consolidation. For personalized credit counseling advice and to learn about the best way to consolidate debt, contact an ACCC credit advisor today.

SiteLock Better Business Bureau Mass Housing Approved National Industry Standards for Homeownership Education and Counseling NFCC Member