Sometimes we don’t realize where our money is going. Many of us have experienced the shock of checking our bank account balance and finding it much lower than we thought it would be! If you’re trying to pay off debt, every bit of money you can save will help. No matter your age or occupation, everyone is guilty of wasting money from time to time. Here are seven tips to help you stop wasting money:
7 Tips to Stop Wasting Money
- Get organized. Paying late fees on bills you forgot to pay on time is a huge waste of money. This can be avoided by being organized and setting up calendar reminders for when your bills are due. Alternatively, set up auto pay for your bills so you don’t have to worry about accidentally paying them late.
- Pay credit cards in full every month. Don’t just pay the minimum on your credit card bill. Paying interest on credit card bills you could pay in full is a waste. Additionally, paying off your balance in full every month can help increase your credit score, so it’s a win-win!
- Start cooking more. Dining out and ordering delivery are expensive. If you go out for lunch every day at work, it’s costing you a lot of money that you could be using elsewhere. Instead, make a sandwich, salad, or bring leftovers from last night’s dinner. Besides the fact that low-cost, homemade meals can be just as good as restaurant food, it’s also healthier!
- Cancel unused memberships and subscriptions. Do you have a gym membership that you no longer use? Do you subscribe to magazines you no longer read? Cancel them! There’s no point in paying for services that you don’t need anymore.
- Use ATM’s for your bank only. You’ll have to pay fees if you use an ATM that isn’t part of your bank. Whenever possible, when you take out cash, use an ATM at your own bank.
- Buy a reusable water bottle. Rather than pay for bottled water all the time, just buy a reusable water bottle and fill it up whenever you need it. It’ll save you money, as buying bottled water all the time can be costly.
- Cut cable. How many channels do you really watch? If the majority of the shows you like are on streaming services like Netflix and Hulu, it’s probably time to cut cable altogether.
When you take steps to stop wasting money, you can start using that money for other things! If you have credit card debt, you can put the money you’ve saved toward your credit card payments. Or, maybe you’re trying to save money in an emergency fund. You may also find that it’s easier to stick to your budget once you stop wasting money on little things.
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session today.