888-995-HOPE is available:
- To any homeowner in America having trouble paying their mortgage
- Any time - 24/7
- Absolutely free foreclosure prevention counseling by expert counselors at HUD-approved agencies
When a constituent calls 888-995-HOPE:
- Service begins immediately — the counselors themselves answer the phone
- Homeowners can get budgeting help, a written financial plan, assistance contacting their lender
- If they'd like face-to-face counseling, they are referred to their local NeighborWorks® agency or other counseling agencies
- If they need additional services, they are referred to agencies in their area
888-995-HOPE is provided free of charge by the Homeownership Preservation Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to preserving homeownership. The Foundation partners with local governments, nonprofits, borrowers, and mortgage lenders/servicers to deliver innovative homeownership preservation opportunities.
In 2006, over 40,000 homeowners sought help through our counseling. Nearly half have avoided foreclosure by working out new loan terms or by selling their home. Currently call volume is increasing by 25% every 6-8 weeks. Callers tend to be female, married, with children, mid to lower income.
In-person counseling is provided by NeighborWorks® organizations, located around the country in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. NeighborWorks® organizations are chartered by NeighborWorks® America, a national nonprofit created by Congress to provide financial support, technical assistance, and training for community-based revitalization efforts.
Partners: American General Financial Services, a member of AIG, Inc., Bank of America, BBWCDF, Citigroup, Countrywide Home Loans, EMC Mortgage, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, GE Money, GMAC ResCap, Homeownership Preservation Foundation, Housing Policy Council, HSBC– North America, JPMorgan Chase, LaSalle Bank, Mortgage Bankers Association, National City Mortgage Co., NeighborWorks® America, Ocwen Loan Servicing, LLC, Option One Mortgage, State Farm Insurance, SunTrust Banks, Inc., Washington Mutual and Wells Fargo Home Mortgage.
If you need more information:
ACCC provides links to other services but does not endorse non-ACCC websites or validate their content.