What do you do when your spouse is bad with money?
Once you’re married, your spouse’s debts can become your problem.
If your spouse has terrible spending habits or doesn’t pay off his/her debts, you need to act to prevent the problem from worsening.
To improve your financial situation, follow this advice:
- Be a team. Create your financial plan together. Make sure your spouse is involved in the decision process.
- Develop a budget together. Decide how much money you’ll allocate to daily life expenses, and how much to save for the big purchases.
- Hold weekly budget review meetings. Discuss big money decisions and the current state of your accounts.
- Establish an emergency fund. Allocate a portion for emergencies, savings, and retirement.
- Deal with debt. Find a way to pay down the debts as quickly as possible.
Do not avoid the issue. Support your spouse throughout their attempts to better manage their money.