Six Questions to Ask Debt Management Agencies
If your debt problems have reached the point where you’re looking for help from a debt management agency, it’s important to proceed with caution. Your financial standing is at stake. Be sure to take a very close look at the debt management agencies that you’re considering before you make a final choice.
Here are six questions that you should ask debt management agencies before doing business with them. If this information isn’t clearly provided on an agency’s website, call them and ask for the answers.
- How long has your organization been in business? Steer away from potential “fly by nighters” and toward debt management agencies with long track records.
- Are you licensed to do business in my state?
- Are you accredited by the Better Business Bureau? BBB accreditation is one of the best ways to identify debt management agencies that deliver consistently high quality customer service.
- Can you help me consolidate my debts without requiring me to borrow money? Some debt consolidation companies push loans on you, but if you’re thinking that taking on more debt isn’t the best way to get out of debt—you’re absolutely right.
- What will you charge me for your services? The best debt management agencies will provide free counseling and lost-cost consolidation services, and they’ll be entirely up-front with you about their fees.
- Will you waive your fees in cases of extreme financial hardship? This is something that non-profit debt management agencies will do, in some cases.
ACCC, a Respected Leader Among Debt Management Agencies
American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) is a nonprofit organization that provides financial counseling and debt solutions for struggling individuals and families. One of America’s leading debt relief agencies, ACCC has helped thousands of consumers turn their financial lives around.
ACCC firmly believes that you should get to know debt management agencies well before choosing one to work with. Here are some important things to know about ACCC:
- We’ve been in business since 1991—more than two decades.
- We’re licensed in all 50 states.
- We’re accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
- If you’ve got unsecured debt to consolidate, we can consolidate it without you having to borrow money. In our highly effective debt consolidation program, you make one monthly payment to us and we pay your creditors. Creditors participating in this program are often willing to lower your interest rates and waive outstanding fees and penalties, enabling you to pay less and get out of debt faster.
- Fees are minimal and we will waive fees in extreme financial hardship.
Contact ACCC today for free credit counseling and debt consolidation information.