Boston, MA – May 1, 2023
Moonlighting. Second jobs. Gig work. Side hustles.
Earning extra income outside of a full-time job has become a way of life for many Americans as opportunities have exploded thanks to remote work lifestyles, app-based delivery, gig jobs, and easy-to-start entrepreneurial ventures. Side hustles have always been a good strategy for helping to pay down debt and create more savings.
Counselors at American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) often advise clients on ways to generate more income during off hours or down time. A recent survey by LendingClub and PYMNTS found that 23 percent of working Americans now have side hustles.
Here are some of the most popular and accessible side hustles for getting started almost immediately.
- Tutoring – If you have expertise in a particular subject, tutoring is an excellent way to earn extra money. You can tutor children, teenagers, or adults, depending on your skill level. You can offer tutoring services online, or you can tutor in person. Some of the subjects that you can tutor include math, science, English, and foreign languages. Online platforms such as Care.com and Varsitytutors.com are a good way to get your side hustle started.
- Affiliate Marketing – This is a popular choice for self-starters and entrepreneurs, and a one-person business can actually be scaled up to a large operation fairly quickly. With affiliate marketing, you earn a commission for promoting other people’s products. You can promote products through social media, email marketing, or your own blog. You earn commissions every time someone makes a purchase through your affiliate link.
- Virtual Assistant – Virtual assistants provide administrative support to businesses and individuals remotely. As a virtual assistant, you can do tasks such as answering emails, managing social media accounts, and scheduling appointments. You can work as a virtual assistant part-time or full-time. Gig work platforms such as Fiverr.com and Upwork are a good place to start.
- Selling Handmade Items – If you have a creative side, selling handmade items can be a profitable side hustle. You can sell your items on platforms such as Etsy or Shopify. Jewelry, clothing, and home décor are consistently popular sellers.
- Delivery Driver – This is about as reliable and simple a way to earn extra cash as you will find. Uber Eats, DoorDash, Instacart, and others can put you in business in a matter of minutes. As a delivery driver, you can set your own schedule and earn money delivering food and other items to customers.
- Pet Sitting – If you love animals, pet sitting is a great way to make extra money because you can set your own rates and schedule. You can even offer pet sitting services in the late evenings, early mornings or at other times you are not working your regular job.
When deciding on a side hustle, it’s essential to consider your skills, interests, and availability. You want to choose a side hustle that you enjoy and that fits into your schedule. Here are some tips for starting a successful side hustle:
- Set goals: Determine how much money you want to make and how much time you can commit to your side hustle.
- Create a plan: Decide on what you want to do and how you will market your services.
- Build a network: Connect with potential clients, customers, and partners to help grow your business.
- Stay organized: Keep track of your expenses, income, and time spent on your side hustle.
- Keep learning: Stay up to date with the latest trends in your industry and continue to improve your skills.