Recently, I helped plan and execute my sister’s wedding. September is a lovely month for weddings. However, it can be a little tricky. To save money and avoid personal credit card debt, we decided to make a lot of items. Here are some of the DIY fall wedding tips I learned.
Save Money- DIY Fall Wedding Tips
Nearly everyone has a wedding budget- or should have one! The best way to get what you want for your dream wedding is to make every dollar stretch. Stick to the budget or you will find yourself having to get out of debt at the start of your marriage.
A lot of money can be saved by doing some of the work yourself. My sister and I, along with a few others, managed to save a lot of money doing just that. She wanted a country/rustic/fall style. Take a look at these tips to help your wedding budget.
List of DIY Fall Wedding Tips
- Keep the guest list small. Fewer people means fewer invitations, fewer favors, less food and more.
- Use mums as decorations around the ceremony, aisle, and tent. Add burlap to the plastic planters to dress them up.
- Simple is more. The less you decorate, the better! This also saves money.
- Keep your receipts. Return materials you don’t need.
- Make items that you will want to keep and use after the wedding, like wreaths.
- Check online for brides selling their fall wedding decor as bundles.
- Find wood rounds or slices from friends or families you can use for table decorations. Someone might burn wood in the winter!
- Ask friends who have recently gotten married for tips or supplies.
- Serve cupcakes, cookies or other homemade desserts to save money on a catered wedding cake.
- Hold your wedding earlier in the day or late fall for a discount.
- There are still bugs in September! Visit your wedding site the day before and around the same time to see what the conditions will be.
- It can also be very hot or very rainy. We rented a tent for rain. However, we used it for shade on a super hot September day.
- Pick flowers from local fields. Buy baby’s breath and a few key flowers for bouquets only.
- Update your budget along the way. There is no need to create consumer debt to get married!
- Design and order your own favors. We created a nice graphic for campfire mugs that we ordered online. They were amazing and 5x cheaper than placing that kind of order on Etsy.
Finally, start as early as you can planning your fall wedding. The more time you have, the less you have to cram in at the end. Hopefully, these DIY fall wedding tips are helpful. And don’t forget to enjoy your special day!
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.