Before Consolidating Debt, Get All the Debt Consolidation Information You Need
Before you enter into an arrangement to consolidate your unsecured debts, it’s important to do your homework and gather the debt consolidation information that you need to make the best decision for your financial well-being. In particular, there are two pieces of debt consolidation information to carefully consider: information about the specific consolidation program, and information about the company that you’d be working with.
Regarding a specific program that you’re considering, be sure to get the following debt consolidation information:
- Does the consolidation program meet your obligations to creditors or is it an attempt to have you pay less than you owe? The latter type of debt settlement solution is best to avoid since it may severely harm your credit rating, among other risks.
- Does the consolidation solution require you to borrow money? Think long and hard before taking out a loan since this approach may just leave you deeper in debt than you are now.
- How much does the consolidation program cost? Insist on getting this debt consolidation information up front, in clear terms.
- What kind of support will the program provide you, to help you stay on track?
Regarding a debt management company that you’re thinking about working with, find out:
- How long have they been in business? Look for a provider with seven to ten years’ experience, at least.
- Are they a reputable business? Check for membership in leading trade organizations like the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC), and see what kind of grade the provider gets from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Are they a for-profit or non-profit organization? Non-profit debt relief agencies are more likely to provide you with helpful services at the lowest possible cost.
ACCC’s Debt Consolidation Program
American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) provides credit counseling and debt consolidation services to consumers nationwide. Our certified counselors are standing by to give you debt consolidation information and help you make an informed choice about your consolidation options. Our low-cost, highly effective debt consolidation program offers three main benefits:
- You simplify your finances by making just one payment each month, to us. We then pay each of your creditors on your behalf.
- The agreements that we work out with your creditors often result in reduced interest rates. The lowered costs may enable you to pay off your debts faster.
- Participants in our debt consolidation program receive support in the form of financial counseling and educational resources including a self-directed credit counseling course (“Financial Peace of Mind” program).
Working with ACCC
ACCC is a nonprofit (501)(c)(3) organization that’s been giving individuals and families help with credit problems for more than two decades. We are a member of the NFCC, and the Better Business Bureau gives us its highest grade, an A+.