As always, the holidays are associated with added expenses. And as Easter is just a few weeks away, it’s time to start prepping! For those who celebrate and are trying to reduce credit card debt, it can be difficult to balance acknowledging the day without going overboard. Luckily, Easter is a bit more low-key than some other holidays (looking at you, Christmas) and with a little prep work, your family can have frugal Easter fun and not miss out on a thing.
Easter Fun on a Budget
Consider these four ways to have fun this Easter without going overboard on filling those Easter baskets!
- Ditch the Baskets. Chances are, your kids don’t really need an entire basket full of candy. And, a lot of it ends up going to waste. So rather than buy tons of chocolate Easter bunnies and other sweets, limit the candy to a few favorite treats.
- Color Easter Eggs. Decorating Easter eggs was always one of my favorite childhood memories. And let me tell you, it’s just as fun as an adult! The great news is that coloring Easter eggs are a really frugal activity. Just pick up a dozen white eggs and an egg coloring kit. Add stickers, glitter, or drawings to spice things up! Using real eggs is less expensive than the plastic ones, and you save from having to put treats like candy or money inside. Then, you can use the eggs for lunches and snacks for the coming week.
- Easter Egg Hunt. Just like coloring the eggs, an Easter egg hunt is a low-stress, high-fun scenario. Rather than use fake eggs, hide the ones you and your family colored together! Do a few different rounds and switch up who hides and finds the eggs. Talk about Easter fun! Just make sure to keep track of how many eggs you have so you don’t forget any around the house.
- Bake Treats. Easter is such a fun holiday to decorate and bake for. It’s all colorful pastels! As always, Pinterest is a treasure trove for ways to have Easter fun on a budget. For specific ideas, check our Easter board. This may also help you save on the cost of candy that typically goes into an Easter basket.
- Avoid Expensive Outfits. I know, I know. Getting an adorable Easter photo is one of the highlights of the day. Everyone looks so great in their Easter best. But, you can certainly get a frame-worthy photo without splurging on outfits that you can only wear once a year.
Hoppy Easter everyone!
For more financial education tips and resources, call ACCC at 800-769-3571.