Traveling is always stressful. Traveling during the holidays? That’s another story entirely! Whether you’re taking a plane, train or automobile, you probably want to cut travel costs to save money for more exciting parts of your trip, or to stay focused on debt management. Whatever your situation, try putting these holiday travel tips into practice!
Save Money Using These Holiday Travel Tips
- Track Airfare Prices. As always, it’s smart to shop around to find the least expensive option. Use resources like Skyscanner to find the cheapest flights to your desired location.
- Use Travel Miles. If your credit card has a point system for mileage, holiday travel is a great time to cash in!
- Avoid Peak Travel Times. I know it can be an inconvenience to travel during times other than the kids’ school vacations or long weekends off from work. But, everyone is traveling during those times! See if you can take your trip a week before or after to cut down on costs. This will help you stay on budget.
- Driving? If you’re driving to your destination, it’s important to try and save money on gas. Plan out things like pit-stops and refueling in advance to get the most mileage for your money.
- Timing. If flying, flights in the early morning or later at night may pose discounted rates. But, keep in mind that with these flights, you may have to pay for an extra night of lodging. Weigh your options!
- Stay Sane. This is one of my favorite holiday travel tips. Yes, we’re a personal finance blog, and love to discuss ways to stay on budget and reduce credit card debt. But sometimes, in real life, peace of mind can be worth a few extra dollars. If you’re traveling with kids, have a tight travel deadline, or would otherwise be putting yourself through the wringer to save a small portion of the money, consider your end game. Ideally, you have a holiday budget in place. Is the extra amount spent worth it for you and does it fit your budget? That’s your decision.
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.