This Weekly Round-up is all about you. October personal finance news covers a variety of topics to help you stay ahead of the curve. As a nonprofit credit counseling agency, ACCC believes that there is never a bad time to continue learning. Plus, your money should always be working for you! Read through the latest news to make smart money moves.
October Personal Finance News Headlines
First, take a few minutes to read through these articles.
- “GE slashed costs by freezing pensions on 20,000 workers —here’s why investors are still upset” by Yahoo! Finance
- “Attention, couples: Here’s how to avoid these common money mistakes” by USA Today
- “Is Your Retirement Fund Ruining Our Economy?” by NPR
- “California Governor Signs Rent Law Amid Rising Housing Costs, Homelessness” by The Wall Street Journal
- “Millennials are actually really good at saving — but it might be slowing down the US economy” by Business Insider
How to Review Your Personal Finances
Every year, you should take some time to review your financial strategies and goals. You may want to do this monthly, quarterly or twice a year. October is a great month to do a review. There is still time before the year ends. Additionally, you probably have a good sense of what next year will look like for you and your family.
Here are a few questions to consider:
- Do you have a working budget in place?
- Are you aware of all your debts, interest rates and time remaining until your consumer debt is paid off?
- What are your future goals?
- Do you have a plan for retirement?
- Are there any estate planning steps you need to be taking- write or update a will, health care proxy forms, etc?
Stay tuned next week for another round-up of the headlines!
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Sign up for a free credit counseling session today!