The value of credit counseling agencies
For consumers who find themselves drowning in debt, credit counseling agencies can be an invaluable lifeline.
People find themselves in debt for many reasons. A job loss, a medical emergency, a bad business decision, and certain financial habits can all contribute to financial difficulties. Credit counseling agencies can assist consumers in understanding their situation and how they arrived at it, and in identifying all the possible strategies for resolving their debt. Credit counseling agencies are also excellent resources for financial education that can help consumers modify their habits, improve their skills, and gain the knowledge they need to stay out of debt in the future.
American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) is one of America’s leading credit counseling agencies. We offer free credit counseling services and low-cost debt management plans that can help you take control of your financial situation. When you work with a non-profit credit counselor from ACCC, you’ll be taking the first step in your journey out of debt, and you’ll see how ACCC can offer you help and support all along the way.
What to expect from a credit counseling agency
Non-profit credit counseling agencies offer a wealth of services and resources for consumers who need help with their financial situation. Here’s what you can expect when you come to ACCC.
- First, you’ll meet with a professionally trained and independently certified credit counselor who is an expert in managing consumer credit and debt. At ACCC, this first meeting is free, with no strings attached.
- Your counselor will help you evaluate your financial situation and perform a detailed review of your income, expenses, and assets.
- Your counselor will also walk you through all the options for dealing with debt, from debt management and debt negotiation to debt settlement, consolidation, and bankruptcy. You’ll learn about the pros and cons of each approach and can get answers to all your questions about consumer debt.
- Finally, we’ll provide you with a personalized list of options for getting out of debt based on your financial goals and the amount of money you can set aside each month toward debt reduction. We can also help you choose the path out of debt that seems most appropriate for your situation.
ACCC: leader among credit counseling agencies
ACCC has been a leader among credit counseling agencies in the US since 1991. Through credit counseling, debt management, and financial education, we have helped thousands of individuals and families to pay off their debts, achieve their financial goals, and learn to live life free of debt.
When you choose ACCC, you’ll work with a debt counselor who is extremely knowledgeable about the world of consumer credit. Our counselors have seen every kind of financial situation and are highly skilled at helping consumers take the steps they need to pay off their debts once and for all.
We are also committed to providing the financial education that lets consumers regain control over the quality of their lives. Our services include:
- Credit counseling. Our credit counselors can help you determine the best approach to your situation and connect you to resources, educational materials, and services.
- Debt management. Debt management plans simplify your finances by consolidating your payments on debt into one monthly payment to ACCC, allowing us to disperse funds to your creditors on your behalf.
- Bankruptcy counseling. We offer the mandated, pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session that lets you and your legal counsel make well-informed decisions.
- Student loan counseling. Learn about all your options for paying off your student loans, no matter how much you owe or what the status of your loans is.
- Housing counseling. Get help with all your housing needs, from foreclosure counseling and reverse mortgage counseling to homebuyer education and certification.
Why choose a non-profit credit counseling agency?
There are several critical reasons why non-profit credit counseling agencies are preferred over for-profit debt relief companies.
- Fees. While for-profit debt relief firms typically charge hefty fees, non-profit credit counseling agencies offer free counseling and low-cost debt management services.
- Mission. The objective of a for-profit debt relief company is making money – your needs will be secondary. Non-profit credit counseling agencies are mission-driven organizations that are dedicated to your best interests.
- Strategies. For-profit debt relief firms often engage in strategies that could leave you deeper in debt, facing legal trouble, and with a ruined credit rating. For-profit firms may ask you to completely stop paying your creditors to force them to settle. Debt consolidation companies will ask you to take out a new loan to pay off old loans. While they may work for some consumers, both approaches have considerable risks. Non-profit firms, on the other hand, recommend strategies that won’t ruin your credit rating, increase your debt, or lead to legal trouble.
- Education. Non-profit agencies are all about educating consumers to develop sound financial habits that can help them learn to avoid debt. For-profit firms typically do not have any focus on financial education, as they profit from consumers who have financial troubles.
What you get with ACCC
ACCC offers a wealth of benefits for individuals and families looking to get out of debt.
- 30 years of experience. Since 1991, we have been a leader among credit counseling agencies and have helped thousands of individuals and families find the best path out of debt.
- Highly trained counselors. Our credit counselors are professionally trained and independently certified to provide you with the highest level of expertise and service.
- Free credit counseling. We provide free credit counseling for anyone who needs our services.
- Low-cost debt management plans. The fees for our debt management services are among the lowest in the industry, and we routinely waive or reduce fees for individuals who face financial hardship.
- Convenient services. We’re available six days a week to assist you in English and Spanish. We also have an online chat function that makes it easy to get answers to your questions quickly and confidentially.
- A reputable company. We are accredited with the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating, and we are a member of the National Foundation For Credit Counseling (NFCC).
FAQs: What are credit counseling agencies?
What are credit counseling agencies?
A credit counseling company is typically non-profit agency that provides assistance to consumers who need help solving financial issues and managing their debt. Credit counseling agencies employ certified counselors who can help individuals make a plan to get out of debt and learn to live without debt in the future.
Why choose a non-profit credit counseling agency?
Non-profit agencies offer free and low-cost services and recommend sound financial strategies for getting out of debt. Non-profit agencies are mission-driven organizations that have the best interests of their customers in mind. Non-profit credit counseling agencies also offer educational materials and financial tools that can help consumers improve their financial skills and learn more about money management.