It is important for consumers to have a plan before approaching Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Having a plan and a budget helps consumers avoid the temptation to overspend.
ACCC has these tips for a successful Black Friday and Cyber Monday:
- Budget – Have a budget before you hit the stores or the internet, and avoid impulse purchases.
- Research – Research the products you know you want to buy in advance and take note of the prices at different stores to see who has the best deal.
- Return Policies – Ask about the return policies before making a major purchase.
- Hidden Costs – Many deals, especially on Cyber Monday, look great until you start looking at the hidden costs, such as shipping and taxes. Review all charges before purchasing an item online.
- Compare and Contrast – Many stores offer price matching. Compare the prices of a product at several different retailers, and if you find a better deal, see if they offer a price match.
- Arrive Early – Black Friday deals usually start early in the morning, and the biggest and hottest items fly off the shelves fast. To get the best deals, you should arrive early.