Deep in debt? Non-profit consumer credit counseling can help
Living with debt can add enormous stress to your life. When your unpaid bills are mounting and credit card balances are rising, it can feel impossible to see your way to a debt-free future.
American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) can help. As a non-profit consumer credit counseling agency, we offer free services and low-cost debt management programs. Over the years, we have helped thousands of individuals and families pay off debts and take control of their financial lives. With credit counseling and educational resources from ACCC, you can take the first steps to be rid of debt and to achieve your financial goals.
Why non-profit counseling matters
There are a major differences between non-profit consumer credit counseling and for-profit debt relief agencies. The most obvious difference is the mission of each organization. The priority for non-profit debt counseling services is to help you find the best way out of debt, while for-profit firms are dedicated to making money – usually by charging steep fees or taking a large cut of payments you make to creditors.
The methods these firms use for dealing with debt are also quite different. Non-profit consumer credit counseling agencies will help you pay off your debt over time – usually 3 to 5 years. In the process, they’ll contact your creditors to possibly reduce interest rates, prevent late fees, or lower your monthly payment amounts. In contrast, for-profit debt relief firms typically ask you to stop paying your creditors in an effort to force them to settle your debt. This approach has many risks. It may result in additional charges from creditors. You may be visited by collection agencies or sued by your creditors and your credit rating is likely to take a significant hit.
Finally, education is a big part of non-profit consumer credit counseling. When you work with a debt counselor, you’ll learn about ways to manage your money more effectively and how to avoid debt in the future. For-profit companies typically do not offer these kinds of financial resources.
Non-profit consumer credit counseling with ACCC
When you come to ACCC for credit counseling, you’ll work with professionally trained and certified credit counselors who offer a variety of financial services. Through credit counseling, debt consolidation, financial education, and debt management counseling, we help people take control of their financial lives and achieve their financial goals.
Our services include:
- Free credit counseling to evaluate your financial situation and provide you with personalized options for eliminating your debt
- Debt management programs that consolidate your debt payments, simplify your finances, and provide the support you need to work your way out of debt
- Bankruptcy counseling, including pre-filing bankruptcy counseling sessions that can help you and your legal counsel make well-informed decisions
- Housing counseling to assist you with everything from reverse mortgage counseling, homebuyer education, and foreclosure counseling
- Student loan counseling, providing options for paying off your debt regardless of your loan status or how much you owe
What to expect when you come for credit counseling
Here’s what happens when you choose ACCC for non-profit consumer credit counseling.
- You’ll meet with one of our highly trained and certified counselors in person or over the phone in a free counseling session.
- Your counselor will help you evaluate your situation and get a clear picture of your finances.
- We’ll review your income, current debts, monthly expenses, balances on your credit cards, and other monthly obligations and unpaid bills.
- We’ll talk with you about all the options for managing your debt and the pros and cons of each approach. Your counselor may offer a recommendation about the approach that seems best for you, but the decision for how to proceed is ultimately yours.
In non-profit consumer credit counseling, one of the most powerful and common strategies for dealing with debt is a debt management program. With this approach, you’ll work with your counselor to make a budget you can live with while you pay down your debt, and you’ll consolidate all your monthly payments into one single payment to ACCC. Our team will then make payments to your creditors on your behalf while seeking possible reductions in interest rates, finance charges, and fees. Debt management plans have helped thousands of consumers just like you to successfully find their way out of debt while preserving their credit and building strong financial habits.
Why choose ACCC?
With non-profit consumer credit counseling from ACCC, you can expect:
- Professional assistance from highly trained and certified credit counselors
- A free credit counseling session that includes preparing a budget and analyzing your financial situation
- Minimal costs for debt management plans – we are proud to have the lowest effective fee structure in the industry.
- Services provided in person and over the phone
- Free educational materials and financial tools you can use to manage your money more effectively and build stronger financial habits
- Superior customer service from a team that cares about you and that will work with you until your problems are solved
- Strict confidentiality concerning all your personal information
- A proven track record backed by three decades of experience, an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and a membership in the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC)
FAQs: What is non-profit consumer credit counseling?
What is non-profit consumer credit counseling?
Nonprofit consumer credit counseling is a service that provides guidance to consumers as they work to improve their credit, reduce their debt, create a budget, and manage their money more effectively. Non-profit debt counseling is typically offered free of charge or at very low rates.
What are the benefits of credit counseling?
Working with a credit counseling agency, consumers can make a plan to deal with debt and get support they need to manage their money more effectively. Non-profit debt management and credit counseling may also include a range of educational materials and financial tools that can help consumers to better understand money management and to develop healthy financial habits that will prevent them from falling into debt in the future.
Learn more about us, or sign up for a free credit counseling session today.