While we may get caught up in the monetary aspect of Christmas, the heart of the holiday really is spending time with family (plus if you’re in debt management, spending too much isn’t good). And luckily, many of us can do that for free. But what festive family games can you play this Christmas that are low-cost, include everyone, and are also fun? Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered.
Festive Family Games for Christmas
- Charades. It almost goes without saying, but we’ll say it anyways. Charades is a classic, and for good reason. Everyone throws in an idea on a sheet of paper and you act it out. If your family or friend group is large, play teams!
- Yankee Swap/Secret Santa. With Yankee Swap or Secret Santa, everyone brings one present rather than buying one present per-person. Yankee Swaps or Secret Santa can be much more affordable for those with credit card debt. And, everyone gets to open a present and learn the power of giving!
- Karaoke Sing-Off. These days, there’s no need to buy a karaoke machine. Just queue up songs on YouTube with the lyrics! Or toss on some holiday favorites on your speaker and have an impromptu sing-off! If you do have a karaoke machine, all the better!
- Board Games. Talk about the perfect chance to incorporate financial literacy skills and teaching kids about money into daily life. Games like The Game of Life or Monopoly are perfect instances where you can have fun and casually bring up money management.
- Christmas Trivia Game. See who knows the most! Pinterest has a number of easy Christmas printables with Christmas trivia questions. Or, have one designated “game runner” who can put together a list (and answers) for the crowd.
- Pin the Nose on the Snowman. This is one of the silliest out of our festive family games. It’s a twist on Pin the Tail on the Donkey and it’s just as fun! Draw a snowman or cut out some pieces of construction paper and tape it to the wall. Then, cut up a bunch of orange paper noses and get started! Don’t forget a blindfold.
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today!