Many schools are switching to uniforms. While you may not be buying as many pieces of a wardrobe as before, your options may be more limited. Let’s go over some frugal tips for buying school uniforms to help your back-to-school budget.
Are you new to school uniforms? Even if this is your tenth go-around, you may not be maximizing your savings potential! Every dollar counts in a budget. The more you save in one category, the more you have to eliminate credit card debt or pay back student loans.
Here are some ways to save money buying school uniforms.
List of Saving Tips for Buying School Uniforms
- Make sure to read and reread the school uniform policy. Nothing like wasting time and money on uniform items you can’t use!
- Ask other moms and families. Families with older kids might be especially helpful as they have been through the process already. Use Facebook, friend groups, neighbors, etc.
- Check with the school to see if they have any shopping tips or discounts available at any retail shops around town.
- Buy multiple sizes if the sale is amazing. Uniform policy probably is not going to change the following year. It might… but I wouldn’t worry about it.
- Be careful of brands. I think investing in quality is a good money move. However, don’t over extend or go for the high end of the line.
- Follow some minimalist or capsule wardrobe practices to avoid overbuying.
- Check yard sales, thrift stores and other local opportunities.
- Ask the school to set up a clothing swap day.
- Host your own uniform swap in your neighborhood or maybe at a church or community center.
- Research sales throughout the summer and the fall. There are ALWAYS sales. Do not pay retail prices. Fourth of July, Labor Day, Back to School, Columbus Day, Black Friday are all big sale weekends.
- Spread your shopping out over a few months to stay on budget.
Now that you have some tip for buying school uniforms, you can stay the course and pay off debts!
Do you have any other tips for buying school uniforms? Leave a comment below!