Financial literacy doesn’t necessarily come naturally. There are many things to learn and relearn as we get older. If you want to make money work for you, it starts with a strong foundation. Learn how to grow your money tree in this new video from ACCC.
Watch Now: How to Grow Your Money Tree Video
Growing your money tree means taking control of your finances and making good decisions now that will positively impact the future. Personal finance is really all about planning and discipline. Let’s break the plan down a little more into easy-to-follow steps. But first, watch the How to Grow Your Money Tree video!
Steps to Grow Your Money Tree
The first step is to “Dig in.” This means learning from your mistakes and changing course. You won’t get ahead if you continue to make the wrong choices. You also need to have an accurate account of your current finances. Here are the steps as you get started growing your money tree:
- Organize your debts, accounts, and paperwork
- Eliminate debt as quickly as possible
- Change your buying habits
- Don’t open any new lines of credit
- Don’t repeat any past financial mistakes
The next step is “Growth.” As you move past debt and financial chaos, it’s now time to lay the groundwork for your day-to-day finances as well as the future.
- Create and follow a budget
- Track and reduce spending
- Start a savings plan
- Set SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely)
Finally, you will “Harvest” all your hard work and dedication. Now that you have met your retirement goals, saved some money for your kid’s education and are living debt-free, you need to keep your assets secure.
- Protect your assets with insurance
- Be mindful of identity theft
- Have regular financial check-ups
Growing your money tree does take time and effort. However, your future self will thank you! Check out these 20 Steps to Financial Health for a more in-depth look.
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.