Earth Day is around the corner. Here at The Talking Cents Blog, we have been thinking through ways to save money around this holiday. It’s always a good idea to save money for your budget! Here is a list of 15 eco-friendly ways to save money.
List of Eco-friendly Ways to Save Money
As we came up with our Earth Day list, it dawned on us that all these savings tips can be used all year round. Another bonus is that you can put the money saved towards debt management. Awesome, right?! Take a look through this list of eco-friendly savings tips to see which ones you can incorporate into your life.
15 Eco-Friendly Ways to Save
- Invest in reusable water bottles.
- Buy in bulk for less packaging and a cheaper price.
- Use alternative transportation- walk, bike, buses, etc.
- Carpool to work and save on gas and car maintenance.
- Reduce energy consumption all around. Turn of lights, use less air conditioning…
- Switch to reusable batteries for all your electronics.
- LED lights use waaaay less energy.
- Grow your own garden to reduce the carbon footprint of store bought produce.
- Buy used clothing rather than everything new.
- Ditch Saran wrap for reusable options.
- Glass or metal Tupperware are great alternatives to plastic.
- Install a rain barrel for gardening and landscaping needs- free water!
- Dry your clothes outside on a clothes line.
- Buy refillable cleaning bottles.
- Use bar soap instead of plastic pump bottles. They are clean, use less plastic and lasts longer.
- Bring your own bags to shop for groceries or anything else you need to carry out.
This eco-friendly list is full of easy suggestions. Most take little to no investment to get started. Plus, they have big pay outs for your wallet and the planet.
Typically, the hard part is switching habits and behaviors. While we know something is better for us, it’s hard to change our routine. Just like your financial choices, it’s important to remember the bigger picture. Additionally, you can get an accountability partner or have a friend participate along side you. That way you can encourage each other.
Making good choices for the Earth and your wallet is a win-win-win (Michael Scott throwback)!
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.