You’ve heard the line: Get a clean slate and new identity, debt free– 100% guaranteed! 100% not the best idea. In actuality, there is legally nothing a credit repair company can do to better your credit that you can’t do for yourself. To be completely honest, if you’re having debt management difficulties there really is no quick fix. But with time, discipline and a well thought out plan, it is absolutely possible to regain your creditworthiness.
1. If the company insists that you pay them before any work has been done.
2. If the company says they will be able to remove reported information from your credit report that you know to be accurate.
3. If the company says they will provide you a 9-digit “CPN” (credit profile number) or “EIN” (employee identification number). This process is illegal and the numbers you will be given are most likely stolen social security numbers. By using a stolen number as your own, the scammers will have involved you in identity theft where you could face a fine and possibly prison.
4. If the company tells you never to contact the reporting companies directly.
5. If the company neglects to tell you about your rights about obtaining a credit report and disputing inaccuracies from the FTC.
Remember that no one can remove accurate history from your credit report. You always have the right to an investigation if you believe and have proof of inaccuracies. Anything that a credit repair company claims they can do for you, you can do for yourself by law. Disputing credit report errors yourself may feel intimidating, but if you follow the process carefully, it is well worth the effort.
If the volume of your debt is the main issue, consolidated credit counseling might be a great solution.
Find Your Best Debt Management Solution
The best way to consolidate debt depends on your individual needs. Your financial circumstances and preferences will determine what will work for you. For some, the best way to consolidate debt may be paying off smaller balances first and then adding those payments to the bigger bills until those are paid off.
ACCC’s debt management program provides you with professionally trained and independently certified counselors that will focus on your personal situation to evaluate your financial status and find ways to eliminate credit card debt in an attainable way. By working with creditors, a reduction in monthly payments is very possible depending on the case.
Taking the easy way out has its draw backs. You’ll never regret avoiding a scam and taking the time to improve your credit will never have a negative impact on your future.
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.