The holidays are a special time of year that brings people together and lots of happiness. But it also brings considerable amounts of financial stress! If you are already struggling to get out of debt, the situation can get even worse. Therefore, it is important that you think of ways to save money, like cash only holiday spending.
Cash Only Holiday Spending
Keeping to a single form of payment will help you stay within your budget during the holiday season. If you withdraw cash in the amount you want to spend for the holidays, you will be more conscientious of your purchases. Here are five reasons why you should consider making cash only holiday spending a practice!
- More Mindful Spending – Start by making a budget for all of your holiday expenses. Then, decide where you will make the purchases. Before each shopping trip withdraw the amount of money that you planned on spending to prevent unnecessary purchases.
- Less Promotional Mail – When you use credit cards for purchases, stores typically save that information and are able to send out promotional mailers and emails about current specials or sales. These promotional materials can tempt you to make extra purchases.
- No Risk of Identity Theft – Credit card is a common form of payment during the holiday season. And sometimes online hackers are able to access consumer credit card information. By using cash you won’t have to worry about your information getting into unwanted hands or rebuilding credit post fraud.
- Helps Small Businesses – Smaller retailers and restaurants have to pay processing fees on all credit card purchases. By using cash you not only help yourself stay on budget but you are also helping out smaller local businesses.
- Cash Discounts – Some retailers offer discounts if you pay with cash rather than using your credit card.
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.