If you’re about to enter college and living on campus, chances are you’ve already begun to start thinking about how you might want your dorm room to look. But before you go crazy with ideas and lavish decorations, take a peak at these dorm décor tips so that you stay on budget and avoid credit problems.
Contact Your Roommate
Once you receive your roommate’s contact information, give them a call or text. Better yet, add them on Facebook so that you can get a better idea of the person you’re about to sleep in the same room with. This way you can determine who will bring:
- A microwave for the endless amounts of soup and tea you’ll be drinking.
- A television so that you can keep up with your favorite shows.
- A mini fridge to store the Red Bull for those late night study sessions.
These are just a few of the things the two of you can touch base upon so that you don’t bring necessary duplicates. If you both agree on a theme or color, more power to you! Here are some ways you can turn your empty drab dorm room into your own cozy, creative space.
Money Saving Dorm Decor Ideas
1. Upcycle. Taking ordinary items no longer in use and making them new again is a really fun way to not only channel your inner artist but it’s a great way to reduce waste and save money! If you’re wondering how you’re going to fit all your clothes in a tiny closet, attach can tabs to your hangers to double them up. You’ll save so much space!
2. DIY Tape Picture Frames. Frames can get expensive and you’re better off not drilling anything into your wall. Instead, purchase some colored tape to create fun frames around the image you would like to be displayed. Using an X-Acto Blade will keep your edges in tact, including the image you are using. It’s great for magazine cutouts.
3. Command Hooks. These wall hooks are your best friend. With so little space, you’ll want to find any way to keep things off the floor and organized neatly. They work great for holding hats, purses, and necklaces but take it to the next level by painting them with a pop of color or glitter to give it some more life! Want a place to hang all your sunglasses? Use a dowel in between two hooks to create the perfect storage.
To speak to a credit counselor today about budgeting and managing your finances, call 800-769-3571.