Just 1 month ago, most people were thinking about gifts and parties. Now that the holidays are over, a lot of people start the New Year thinking about health and physical fitness. Your budget may be tight after a holiday season of spending. The good news is that there are ways to get in shape without expensive equipment or gym memberships.
- Create a plan. Develop a routine that fulfills your fitness needs. There are several online resources to help you do so. Just search. (examples: sparkpeople.com, muscleandstrength.com)
- Purchase some equipment. With minimal equipment you can get a great workout at home. Dumbbells, a fitness ball, a jump rope, and elastic bands for example. All of these are inexpensive items that have various applications.
- Find a buddy. It can be hard to motivate yourself to workout. Find a friend or two to join you in your quest for fitness and you can help each other.
- Run/Jog. Get a good pair of sneakers and hit the pavement. No matter how far you can go, this is one of the best ways to improve your health. No membership required. Bundle up if it’s cold.
- Videos/DVDs. If you’re looking for more structure, find a good instructional DVD to guide you through your workouts. You may also find free videos on-demand through your cable provider or online.
- Set reachable goals. If you aim too high, you might be disappointed and quit. Set some periodic goals that you can actually reach, and stay the course.
Fitness takes time. The key is to remain motivated and disciplined. It can be hard to stay on track when working out at home, but just think about being in shape AND having money in your pocket. Wouldn’t that be sweet?
Any suggestions for staying fit on a budget? Please share in the comments!