If you want to take a vacation but you’re short on cash, you’ve probably heard the term “staycation.” It basically means that you stay home or close to home for your vacation, and it’s a good way to save money. For many consumers, most extra money is being put towards regular bills or paying off credit cards. You might think it’s boring and lame to just stay home to save money, but it doesn’t have to be that way. It just takes a little creativity, some research, and a sense of adventure to save money on a vacation and still have an awesome time!
Everyone needs a break from work and their everyday lives, but not everyone has money to spend on a vacation. Some of us need to put our extra money towards paying bills and getting out of debt. A staycation is a great way to save money. Options are certainly different for everyone and may be limited depending on your location, but we’ll try to cover something for everyone with these tips.
- Don’t Fly: A very expensive part of any vacation is the flight. Find someplace within driving distance and take a road trip. You may even want to stop at several spots along the way.
- Change of Scenery: Do you live in the suburbs? Try spending day or a weekend in a nearby city. Use hotel shopping websites like Priceline.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, and Kayak.com to find the best prices on a room. If you live in the city, take a trip to a more rural area and find a cozy bed & breakfast in the woods, near a lake, or on a beach.
- Deal Websites: Sites like Groupon.com, LivingSocial.com, and Jetsetter.com offer discounts on hotels and attractions in several locations. Keep an eye out for local deals.
- Camp Out Locally: This can be fun for the whole family. Set up camp in the back yard, or find a nearby campground. If you want to do it often, purchase some basic camping gear that will last for several trips, like tents, air mattresses, a portable grill, and other supplies. Look for used items online, or borrow from friends.
- Relax at Home: A true staycation means you just stay at home. You can still look for attractions, events, and activities to do nearby, but you’ll save a ton by sleeping in your own bed, preparing your own meals, and getting the same quality time with your family.
- Research Things You Like: Do you like wineries? Museums? Antiques? Boating? Hiking? Whatever it is, look for local opportunities to see and do your favorite things. You might discover opportunities closer than you thought. Be sure to look for discount days and join any mailing lists that may get you coupons.
Whether your idea of a vacation is seeking adventures, family fun, or relaxing with a book, you can achieve it all with a money saving staycation.
Be sure to enter our Boost Your Budget Giveaway for a chance to win a $250 Visa Gift Card! Lots of ways to win just for Liking, Following, Retweeting, Sharing, and more!