Summer is here, and everyone is eager to take a vacation! While planning your perfect vacation, you need to minimize some of the summer expenses so that your budget balances. Our credit counseling advice is to budget for it. Here are some summer budget hacks to avoid getting into too much debt.
Summer Budget Hacks
- Develop a spending plan. Many people overspend on vacation because they don’t budget – which can lead to credit card debt. Decide how much you’re going to spend before you leave. Include plane tickets, hotel prices, gas, meals, souvenirs, park admissions, etc. If the total amount looks too high, cut back costs until the vacation is within your budget.
- Check Groupon and other deal sites for discounts. Do your research ahead of time to find out about special offers. Many businesses and towns offer fun activities on the cheap! Go to museums, zoos, and historic attractions.
- Book during off-seasons. Traveling during the week is cheaper than on the weekends. If you can take off weekdays, you’ll beat the crowds and the weekend prices. Visit popular summer destinations in the winter and vice versa to get great deals.
- Think outside the hotel box. Hotels can be pricey. Look at other accommodations, like home shares, condos, campsites, or Airbnb. Use any connection through family and friends to save money.
- Consider a road trip. Instead of flying, consider driving to your destination. Bring fun trivia and card games for an exciting adventure. You can also pack your own food to keep costs down.
- Get a side hustle or a part-time job. This will help you with your savings efforts. It can be temporary until you reach your goal. Consider freelance writing, monetizing your blog, photography, or Uber/Lyft.
- Go outdoors. Swim at the beach, hike at a nearby trail, walk near a pond, or visit a farm. Not only will you be active, but it won’t cost you a dime!
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.