Consolidation loans: pros and cons.
Consolidation loans seem like a promising option when you owe significant money on multiple loans and credit cards. When you consolidate loans and credit cards, you essentially take out one new loan to pay off multiple loans or credit card balances. Ideally, the new loan is financed at a lower interest rate than your old debts, enabling you to save money, reduce your monthly payment and/or pay off your debt quickly.
But consolidation loans don’t always work out to be financially effective. If you are deeply in debt, you may not qualify for interest rate that is low enough to make consolidating loans worthwhile. The cost of originating the new loan is an added expense. And consolidation loans don’t necessarily help you make a plan to address the reasons you got into debt in the first place. Often, individuals or families who turn to consolidation loans to consolidate credit cards end up having the same amount of debt or higher within a few years.
Get advice on consolidation loans from ACCC.
When you need help sorting through the pros and cons of consolidation loans and making a plan to get out of debt, American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) can help. We’re a non-profit organization that offers free credit counseling and educational resources, along with low-cost debt management options that can help you get out of debt more quickly and build a life that is free of debt.
At your first free credit counseling session, our counselors will help you evaluate your financial situation and document all of your income, expenses, and assets. Next, we’ll outline all of the options available to you, including private loan consolidation and credit card consolidation loans, and help you determine which actions make the most sense for your financial situation.
Why choose ACCC for help with consolidation loans?
When you come to ACCC for advice on consolidation loans and other financial matters, you’ll benefit from:
- A professional, non-profit credit counseling agency that is accredited through the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
- A free counseling session that includes budget preparation and analysis of your financial situation.
- Counseling in person and via telephone, to answer your questions quickly and confidentially.
- Affordable debt management program fees – we are dedicated to keeping fees for our services as low as possible.
- Superior customer support from counselors that care about you and will work with you to find appropriate solutions to your problems.
Learn more about consolidation loans and other options for debt consolidation for credit card balances.