Consumer credit counseling offers help and hope
Carrying large amounts of debt is quite common in America. In fact, the average household carries about $8,000 in credit card balances, but debt has a way of steadily rising over time. For individuals who find themselves deeply in debt, consumer credit counseling can be a lifeline.
Credit counselors are financial professionals who have deep knowledge of the world of credit and debt. Working for nonprofit agencies, these experts typically offer credit counseling and debt management services free of charge or at very low rates. Credit counselors can accurately assess your situation, help you understand how you fell into debt, and – most importantly – what you can do to get out of it.
American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) is a nonprofit agency dedicated to helping you regain control of your finances and make a plan to live free of debt. We offer consumer credit education and a wide range of services to assist you in all your financial needs. With ACCC, you can have hope for the future knowing that our team of consumer credit experts is on your side.
Why seek consumer credit counseling?
When you contact a credit counseling agency for help with your debt, you can expect to:
- Receive free credit counseling from a certified professional who knows the ins and outs of managing credit and debt.
- Get help to make a budget that will allow you to pay down your debt over time.
- Learn about all the options available for getting out of debt and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Learn how a debt management plan can help you pay off debt – usually within 60 months – while potentially lowering your interest rates, finance charges and stop late and over-the-limit fees.
- Learn more about managing money effectively with educational materials and financial tools.
ACCC: a leading nonprofit consumer credit agency
ACCC has been providing not-for-profit credit counseling services to individuals and families since 1991. Over these past 30 years, our highly trained and certified counselors have helped thousands of individuals just like you to find their way out of debt and learn to live debt-free.
As a leader in the consumer credit counseling industry, we offer assistance for a variety of financial concerns, including credit counseling, debt consolidation and management, student loans, bankruptcy, housing issues, budgeting, and other financial matters.
Educating people about credit and debt is a significant part of our mission. Through collaboration with community partners and financial institutions, we are dedicated to providing unsurpassed financial education to those who need it most. We strive to develop a greater community of financially responsible individuals and families who will thrive for generations to come.
Your first meeting with a credit counselor
At your first your first consumer credit counseling session, you’ll meet with one of our highly trained counselors to evaluate your financial situation and talk about your goals for the future. Your counselor will help you prepare a detailed look at your income, assets, expenses, and debt – it’s the first step in deciding the best way to pay off your debt.
In this first meeting, you’ll also learn about the various strategies available to you for paying off debt. Your counselor may recommend certain educational materials and financial resources that can help you develop the skills and habits to manage your money more effectively.
Ultimately, at the end of your credit counseling session, you’ll have a variety of personalized options for managing your debt based on your financial goals. Our counselors will help you take the first step on whatever path you choose. Depending on the option that seems right for you, your credit counselor can help you prepare a budget you can live on while you work to pay off your debt over time.
Our promise to you
When you come to ACCC for credit counseling and education, we will provide you with:
- Free consumer credit and credit card counseling services, including budget preparation and analysis of key financial indicators
- Affordable debt management program fees – our fees for services are among the lowest in the country
- Access to highly trained and trusted counselors who are experts at managing consumer credit
- Free financial education materials
- Counseling provided in person and over the phone
- Bilingual services for Spanish-speaking consumers
- Exceptional customer service with support and commitment that is second to none
- Expertise based on three decades of service in the consumer credit field
- Help from a reputable company that is accredited through the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating
FAQs: What is consumer credit?
What is consumer credit?
Consumer credit allows consumers to buy goods and services on credit rather than paying in cash. The most common types of consumer credit are credit cards, revolving lines of credit, and certain type of loans. Consumer credit is considered an unsecured debt – that is, it’s not secured by an asset like a home or car.
When is consumer credit a problem?
Many people who take on a lot of credit can find themselves too deeply in debt. When consumer credit is accompanied by high interest rates, it can feel impossible to escape from this kind of debt.
What is consumer credit counseling?
Consumer credit counseling is a service offered by non-profit credit counseling agencies. Consumer credit services can help individuals evaluate their financial situation and make a plan to pay down debt over time. Credit counseling is usually offered free of charge or at very low rates.