Financial troubles? Credit counselors can help
When your financial troubles seem overwhelming and you find yourself too deeply in debt, non-profit credit counselors can offer solutions and assistance. Credit counseling services are available to any individual who wants to regain control of their finances and make a plan to pay off their debts. Certified credit counselors are experts in the world of consumer credit and debt. They have a thorough knowledge of all the strategies for dealing with your financial situation, and they can recommend tools and resources that can help you reach your financial goals.
At American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC), we offer free credit counseling and low-cost debt management services that have helped thousands of individuals and families to find a path out of debt. Contact us today to schedule an appointment in person or by phone with our knowledgeable credit counselors and take the first step on your journey to a debt-free future.
Which credit counselors are right for you?
When you’re looking for credit card debt counseling, you’ll find a lot of agencies offering services. To determine which credit counselors will be most helpful to you, consider these criteria.
- Free counseling and low-cost services. The best credit counselors will provide free credit counseling along with debt management services with reasonable fees – typically not more than $50/month. Reputable credit counseling agencies will also be able to waive fees for financial hardship.
- Certified credit counseling. The best credit counselors are highly trained and certified to offer help in a wide range of financial matters.
- A non-profit credit counseling agency. Non-profit credit counseling firms are mission-driven organizations with your best interest in mind. For-profit firms, on the other hand, are driven by profit and earn revenue by charging high fees.
- A strong track record. Look for an agency that has been in business at least 7 to 10 years. Also, it’s helpful to check with the Better Business Bureau to see if any complaints have been made against the agency. The company should also be licensed and bonded to do business in your state.
- Accredited by national organizations. Look for organizations that are members of one of the national trade organizations – the Financial Counseling Association of America (FCAA) or the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC). Also, your credit counseling agency should be accredited by the International Standards Organization (ISO) or by the Council on Accreditation (COA).
Meet the credit counselors at ACCC
Since 1991, ACCC has been helping consumers take control of their financial futures through financial education and debt management counseling. Our credit counselors are highly trained and independently certified to provide assistance for all your financial needs. With help from our counselors, you can create a plan to address your financial situation and develop the skills to avoid debt in the future.
When you meet with our credit counselors in a free credit counseling session, we’ll first help you get a clear sense of your financial situation by reviewing your income, expenses, assets, and debts. Next, we’ll lay out all the options available to you for dealing with your debt. You’ll learn about the pros and cons of debt management, debt settlement, debt negotiation, debt consolidation, and other strategies. Your credit counselor will present you with a list of personalized options based on your financial goals. And we’ll help you select the strategy that seems best for your situation.
Why non-profit credit counselors are different
There are many firms that offer credit counseling and debt relief. You’ve probably seen the advertisements for companies promising to help erase your debt for pennies on the dollar or to help you get out of debt in no time at all. These agencies are almost always for-profit companies who earn their revenue by charging hefty fees. Their strategies for debt relief are fairly aggressive – they may ask you to stop paying on your debts completely in order to put pressure on your creditors to settle. There’s no guarantee these tactics will work. In fact, sometimes they backfire and create more debt and legal trouble for the consumer. Even when these tactics work, they can ruin your credit rating.
Non-profit agencies, on the other hand, are not driven by profit. They earn most of their revenue through grants so they can offer free credit counseling and low-cost debt management services. Non-profit debt management firms provide information and guidance rather than getting you to choose a particular plan for paying off your debt. Non-profit credit counselors are highly trained and certified individuals who specialize in helping people just like you to consider all their options and choose the best path to a debt-free future. Most importantly, non-profit credit counselors will recommend plans that won’t ruin your credit rating and won’t put you in legal jeopardy.
Why choose credit counselors from ACCC?
When you come to ACCC, you will find:
- Highly trained and trusted credit counselors who care about you and will work with you until your problems are solved
- A company with 30 years of experience in the credit counseling industry
- A free credit counseling session where we’ll analyze your finances and help you prepare a budget
- Low-cost debt management programs with fees that are among the lowest of the industry
- Assistance with your financial situation regardless of your ability to pay – we can waive or reduce fees in cases of financial hardship
- Free educational materials and financial tools
- Convenient services, including counseling available in person and over the phone
- An online chat feature that lets you get quick and confidential answers to your questions
- Services available in English and in Spanish
- Superior customer service
ACCC is accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. We are a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) and we have a Certificate of Authority in all 50 states.
FAQs: What are credit counselors?
What are credit counselors?
Credit counselors are financial professionals who are trained and certified to offer guidance to consumers on managing credit and debt. Credit counselors typically work for non-profit agencies whose mission is to educate consumers about ways of paying off their debt and avoiding debt in the future. The services of credit counselors are often offered free of charge or at a very low cost.
What are the advantages of using credit counselors?
Working with a credit counselor can provide relief and strategies for consumers who find themselves with a poor credit rating or deeply in debt. Credit counselors are highly adept at understanding the advantages and disadvantages of various forms of debt relief, and can provide consumers with ideas for the best way to pay off their debt. Credit counselors also educate consumers about healthy financial habits and provide essential knowledge about managing a variety of financial situations.