For help with debt, try a credit counseling agency
For most people, debt is a fact of life in America today. The average American household carries $8000 in credit card debt, and many consumers are more deeply in debt than they can handle. If you’re feeling stuck in your financial situation and want to find some answers, a non-profit credit counseling agency can help.
Non-profit debt counseling or credit counseling agencies are mission-driven organizations dedicated to providing education and strategies that can help consumers pay off debt once and for all. With a credit counseling agency, you can find the expertise and assistance you need to address your financial situation and make a plan to solve your financial issues.
American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) is a premier credit counseling agency offering free credit counseling and low-cost debt management programs. When you work with our knowledgeable credit counselors, you’ll get the strategies, education, and help you need to start your journey to a debt-free life.
Finding the right credit counseling agency
Because there are lots of disreputable companies in the debt relief industry, choosing the right credit counseling agency is imperative. Here are a few things to look for as you compare consumer credit counseling services.
- Non-profit is better than for-profit. A non-profit credit counseling agency will offer services for free or at very low cost. In contrast, for-profit firms often charge very high fees. For-profit companies also recommend strategies that carry a lot of risk and may leave you deeper in debt, facing legal issues, and with a ruined credit rating. Non-profit firms, on the other hand, will offer sound credit counsel that will help you preserve your credit rating and avoid legal trouble.
- Established agencies are a sound choice. Look for a firm that has at least 7 to 10 years of experience in the credit counseling industry. That way, you can tell from their track record how successful they have been.
- Look for a reputable firm. Your credit counseling agency should be accredited with the Better Business Bureau and have a membership in one of the national trade associations – either the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) or the Financial Counseling Association of America (FCAA).
- The lower the fees, the better. A truly reputable credit and debt counseling firm will offer free credit counseling and have fees for debt management that are no more than $50 per month.
- Counselors you can trust. A great credit counseling agency will offer access to credit and debt counselors who are professionally trained and certified by an independent agency.
ACCC: a leading, nonprofit credit counseling agency
ACCC is a nonprofit credit counseling agency with 30 years of experience helping consumers to find their way out of debt. We offer financial education, credit counseling, and debt management programs that have helped thousands of individuals and families learn to live debt-free. Our trained and certified counselors are experts at helping consumers to analyze their financial situation and understand what led them into debt. ACCC counselors have a thorough understanding of the world of consumer credit and debt and can share all the possible options for addressing a difficult financial situation.
Our services include:
- Free credit counseling to determine the best strategies for addressing a financial situation
- Debt management programs that simplify finances, consolidate debt payments, and seek reductions of interest rates, finance charges, and fees
- Housing counseling, including reverse mortgage counseling, homebuyer education and certification, and foreclosure counseling
- Student loan counseling that explores all the options regardless of the amount of loans or loan status
- Bankruptcy counseling, including the mandated pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session
What to expect from credit counseling?
When you come to ACCC for a free credit counseling session, you’ll meet with one of our trained and trusted counselors who will help you evaluate your financial situation. We’ll perform a detailed review of your finances, taking a look at your income, expenses, assets, and debts. We’ll talk with you about your financial goals and the various strategies for reaching them. We can share with you the pros and cons of common strategies like debt management, debt settlement, debt negotiation, debt consolidation, and bankruptcy. And we’ll connect you with educational resources and financial tools that can help you learn more about sound money management, healthy financial habits, and ways to avoid debt in the future.
After your credit counseling session with ACCC, you’ll feel a sense of relief from the knowledge that you have options for dealing with your financial troubles. And you’ll know you’re not alone – the team at ACCC will provide help and support every step of the way on your journey out of debt.
Why make ACCC your credit counseling agency?
When you choose ACCC as your credit counseling agency, you can count on:
- Help from a reputable company. We’ve been helping consumers find their way out of debt since 1991. We are accredited with the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating, and we are a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).
- Assistance from financial experts. ACCC counselors are highly trained and certified to provide you with assistance in a wide range of financial matters. Our counselors know the world of consumer credit inside and out and can recommend the best strategy for dealing with your unique situation.
- Convenient services. We are available in person and over the phone six days a week to provide assistance, and we offer an online chat feature that lets you get help quickly and confidentially. Additionally, we offer services in both English and Spanish.
- Excellent customer service. ACCC counselors will work with you until your problems are solved, providing superior customer service and support every step of the way.
- Free services and low-cost plans. Your first credit counseling session at ACCC is completely free, with no strings attached. And we offer debt management services with an effective fee structure that is the lowest in the industry.
FAQs: What is a credit counseling agency?
What is a credit counseling agency?
A credit counseling agency is an organization dedicated to providing financial education and assistance to consumers. Credit counseling agencies can help consumers understand their financial situation, make plans to pay off debt, and access educational materials to increase their knowledge of personal finance.
What are the advantages of a non-profit credit counseling agency?
Non-profit credit counseling agencies are mission-driven organizations dedicated to providing free and low-cost services to consumers. Non-profit agencies are also focused on education and on strategies for debt reduction that won’t harm a consumer’s credit rating or create legal problems. In contrast, for-profit debt relief firms typically charge high fees, offer no education services, and often recommend strategies that may drive consumers deeper in debt and place them in legal jeopardy when the strategies don’t work.