Travel expenses can add up quickly. It doesn’t matter what your occupation or income. Traveling multiple times a day to different locations is not uncommon. By planning ahead, consumers can save money while still reaching their destination. Here are six tips for saving money on transportation.
- Public Transportation. This is a great way to save money and still get to your location. Depending on where you live, research the best routes and times to get to your destination. Many cities also provide discounts for taking public transportation. By doing so, you can also save on parking.
- Invest in a Bicycle. Not only will you save time & money, but you’ll stay in shape! If your destination is short, bike or even walk. This will help you to save money over time.
- Use Apps. Download apps to track mileage between fill ups. It will be easier to plan when your car will need more gas. Apps like FuelFrog or gasbuddy.com can find the closest & cheapest gas station to your location or route of travel.
- Plan Out Parking. Download apps to help you find the best and cheapest places to park. Apps like SpotHero can help reserve spots in advance & earn you a discount. Not only will this ensure a spot but also save you gas from not searching for parking.
- Carpool. If public transportation is not an option, you may be able to carpool with a friend, family member, or neighbor. Not only will you save money on gas, but also reduce congestion on roadways. And you may also be able to use carpool lanes, which will reduce commute time.
- Don’t Speed. By traveling between 50-55 mph, your car will be most efficient. Going over this limit will increase fuel consumption.