Managing debt with consumer credit counseling services
When you’re living with a lot of debt, it can feel like your financial life is out of control. Debt has a way of snowballing – every month can seem to drive your credit card balance a little higher. Unexpected expenses or medical emergencies can make matters even worse. And with any interruption in your income, it can feel like you’re inches from financial disaster.
Consumer credit counseling services can help. When you contact a credit counseling agency, you’ll work with a certified counselor to evaluate your financial situation and explore your options for getting out of debt.
At American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC), you’ll find the help and assistance you need to take back control of your financial life. Our nonprofit credit counseling services include free credit counseling, low-cost debt management plans, and educational materials that can help you learn to manage your money more effectively.
What are consumer credit counseling services?
At ACCC, our consumer credit counseling services include a free counseling session where you can meet with a financial professional to discuss your situation. Our certified counselors are experts at analyzing your financial predicament, helping you understand how you got there, and recommending multiple options for paying off your debt.
At your first free consumer credit counseling session, we’ll prepare a detailed review of your income, expenses, assets, and debt. We’ll also show you all the resources and options available to you for paying off your debt, explaining the pros and cons of each approach. We’ll present you with some personalized options based on your financial goals, and we’ll support you in the choice you make for how to move forward.
During your first session, your counselor may recommend a variety of other educational resources that can help you learn about the financial habits that can help you avoid debt in the future.
ACCC: reputable consumer credit counseling services
ACCC has been educating customers on financial management since 1991. As a nonprofit organization, we’re dedicated to helping people regain control of their finances and plan for a debt-free future. Our counselors know consumer credit inside and out and can help you chart a course to get out of debt with a plan that best fits your needs.
Our services include:
- Credit counseling to determine the best way to approach your financial situation
- Debt management programs that simplify your debt obligations, consolidate payments and make monthly payments to creditors on your behalf
- Bankruptcy counseling, including mandated pre-filing bankruptcy counseling sessions
- Housing counseling, including counseling on reverse mortgages, foreclosures, homebuyer education, and certification
- Student loan counseling that can help to explore options regardless of your loan status or how much you owe
ACCC is a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC), is accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA), and is accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
The benefits of a debt management plan
When you come to ACCC for consumer credit counseling services, a debt management plan may be one of the options presented to you for dealing with your debt. Many consumers have found that a debt management plan is the best way to pay down their debt over time while preserving their credit rating.
A realistic debt management plan with ACCC is based on a reasonable budget that lets you set aside a certain amount each month for reducing your debt. Rather than sending that money directly to your creditors, you’ll send it to ACCC, and our team will be responsible for paying your creditors on time.
It’s a simple idea, but it works. With just one payment to make each month, you’ll feel less stress about your finances, and you’ll find it easier to stick with the plan. By making sure your bills are paid on time, we help you chip away at your debt in an organized fashion while avoiding late fees. And we can work with your creditors to possibly lower the interest rates on your credit cards and loans, or to eliminate finance charges and other fees.
With debt management help from ACCC, you can work to pay off your debt in an organized fashion and to become debt free, typically within 3 to 5 years. Additionally, a debt management plan will not damage your credit rating in the long-term in the way some debt settlement or debt consolidation schemes may.
Why choose consumer credit counseling services from ACCC?
Customers choose credit and debt counseling ACCC for several key reasons.
- A proven history. We have three decades of experience in the credit card debt counseling industry.
- Certified counselors. Our credit counselors are highly trained and certified by an independent organization.
- Free services. Your first counseling session with ACCC is completely free, with no strings attached.
- Affordable program fees. If you choose to enroll in a debt management program, you can count on fees that are among the lowest in the country. We also can waive fees for financial hardship.
- Convenience. Our certified counselors are available in person and over the phone, and we provide an online chat feature to help you get answers to your questions quickly and confidentially.
- Nonprofit status. As a nonprofit consumer credit counseling service, our mission is to help you get out of debt, not to earn revenue by charging you hefty fees.
- Superior customer service. Our team offers support and commitment that are second to none.
FAQs: What are consumer credit counseling services?
What are consumer credit counseling services?
Consumer credit counseling services are offered by non-profit agencies dedicated to helping people take control of their financial lives and find their way out of debt. Credit counselors are highly trained and certified financial professionals who can help individuals and families understand their financial situation and make a plan to reach their financial goals. Consumer credit counseling services are usually available at no cost or at very low fees, enabling anyone to take the first step toward living life free of debt.
How do I choose the right consumer credit counseling service?
There are many organizations offering credit counseling and debt relief services, and not all of them will have your best interests in mind. It’s best to look for a non-profit company that’s funded by grants rather than a for-profit company that earns revenue by charging high fees. You should look for a firm that’s been around for at least 7 to 10 years, and one that has a positive rating with the Better Business Bureau. Reputable consumer credit counseling firms will be members of one of the national trade associations and will be accredited by the International Standards Organization (ISO) or by the Council on Accreditation (COA).