Consumer credit counseling: help is on the way
When you feel overwhelmed by debt and financial issues, you’ll find the help you need with consumer credit counseling.
Many Americans find themselves mired in debt. The average American household carries $8,000 in credit card balances, and unexpected events like medical emergencies can push individuals and families to the point of breaking.
Consumer credit counseling can help by providing free counseling and low-cost services to create a plan for managing your debt. With a credit counseling service, you’ll benefit from the expertise of certified credit counselors who know everything there is to know about strategies for getting out of debt. And unlike for-profit debt relief schemes, you can be sure that nonprofit credit counseling companies have your best interests in mind and won’t recommend tactics that could leave you more deeply in debt.
American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) is a nonprofit credit counseling agency devoted to helping individuals and families just like you to take the first step on the journey out of debt. When you come to us for free credit counseling, you can count on getting the help and support you need to regain control of your financial life.
What happens in consumer credit counseling?
When you come to ACCC for consumer credit counseling, you’ll quickly discover how helpful it is to have a certified and professionally trained debt counselor. Our knowledgeable counselors will help you evaluate your current financial situation and talk about your goals for the future. We’ll provide you with a detailed review of your income, assets, expenses, and debt, and walk you through all the options for moving forward. Your counselor will recommend personalized options based on your goals. Those may include a debt management plan, which is a common strategy for paying off your debt over time.
Your first consumer credit counseling session is completely free – there are no strings attached. Once you’ve taken a look at the options for paying off your debt, you can choose the path that seems right for you. Throughout the credit counseling process, you’ll feel confident knowing that you’re working to take back control of your finances.
ACCC: leading consumer credit counseling services
Founded in 1991, ACCC has been providing consumers with nonprofit debt counseling services and low-cost debt management programs for 30 years. Our counselors are trained and independently certified through a third-party organization. They can assist you in addressing all of your financial needs and help you develop a plan to work your way out of debt.
Our services include:
- Consumer credit counseling, offered free of charge, to help you get a clear picture of your financial situation and connect you with resources that can help
- Debt management plans that can consolidate your monthly payments, simplify your financial life, and help you pay off your debt over time
- Bankruptcy counseling, including the mandated pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session that enables you and your legal counsel to make well-informed decisions
- Student loan counseling where you can explore all your options no matter how much you owe or what the status of your loans are
- Housing counseling, including reverse mortgage counseling, homebuyer education, and foreclosure counseling
4 reasons consumer credit counseling make sense
When you choose ACCC for consumer credit counseling, you will:
- Receive a free credit counseling session with no strings attached and no commitment required.
- Benefit from the expertise of a certified credit counselor who can show you all your options for managing your debt.
- Use ACCC’s educational materials and financial tools to learn more about managing money effectively and building good financial habits.
- Learn how you can pay off your debt – usually within 3 to 5 years – while rebuilding your credit.
Why choose ACCC for consumer credit counseling?
When you come to ACCC for consumer credit counseling, you can count on:
- Expertise provided by certified credit counselors who are highly trained professionals
- Support from an experienced team that will be constantly on your side
- Free counseling and affordable services – our fees for debt management programs, for example, are among the lowest in the industry, and we offer help regardless of your ability to pay
- Services offered in person and over the phone in both English and Spanish
- Superior customer service – we are committed to helping you achieve your personal financial goals
- Confidentiality – we recognize the importance of protecting your personal financial information and promise it will be held in the strictest confidence
- Free educational materials and financial tools
ACCC has been in business for three decades and is accredited through the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. We are a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) and have a Certificate of Authority in all 50 states.
FAQs: What is consumer credit counseling?
What is consumer credit counseling?
Consumer credit counseling is a service that’s typically provided by non-profit agencies to help people regain control of their financial situation. Credit counseling services may help individuals and families with getting out of debt, repairing credit, creating budgets, and managing money more effectively. Credit counseling agencies may offer bankruptcy counseling, housing counseling, student loan counseling, and assistance with other financial matters.
How do I find a reputable consumer credit counseling agency?
The most reputable credit counseling agencies will be non-profit organizations that have been in business for at least 7 to 10 years. They’ll have a strong record with the Better Business Bureau and they’ll be members of one of the national trade associations: the Financial Counseling Association of America (FCAA) or the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC). Reputable firms will employ certified and highly trained counselors. And they’ll provide free credit counseling and low-cost debt management services.