Are you ready for Halloween? If you have delayed buying a costume trying to progress in debt management, there are plenty of affordable options from your own closet. Here are some free or cheap Halloween costumes.
Easy Cheap Halloween Costumes
So you still need a costume for all those parties, parades, and Halloween festivities. Whether you simply forgot or were dreading spending the cash, it’s time to get serious about your ghostly attire. Save money and time by trying some of these last minute cheap Halloween costume ideas.
DIY Cardboard Box Ideas
Do you have a cardboard box or two lying around the house? Transform said box into one of the following cheap Halloween costumes:
- Scrabble letter
- Rubik’s Cube
- TV set
Many of these costumes are great ways for a group to dress up together without spending a lot of money. You can spell a word out with Scrabble letters, become a dancing robot troupe or be a set of dice with your bestie.
Free Halloween Costumes from Your Closet
There are also many costumes you can create for free from your very own closet. Better yet, scope out a friend’s closet. Swapping costumes with friends is another way to get a hold of last minute cheap Halloween costumes. You won’t have to spend time at the store or end up with any more consumer debt from impulse buys. Choose one of these Halloween costumes based on what you have at home already:
- Lumberjack- flannel, jeans, boots, hat
- Tourist- t-shirt, sneakers, sun visor or hat, fanny pack, camera with a strap
- Detective- trench coat, cool hat, business clothes, notepad and pen
- Ghost- sheet
- Audrey Hepburn- little black dress, cute jewelry, and the right hair-do
Ways to Make Cheap Halloween Costumes
Finally, you can spend a little money to open up your Halloween costume options. Sometimes all it takes is a simple accessory to transform the ensemble. Check out these tips for making cheap Halloween costumes:
- Become a zombie for an easy and affordable upgrade. Just buy some make-up and apply!
- Head to your local thrift shop and channel your inner Golden Girl. You might also consider a librarian, nerd, 80’s themed, etc…
- A wig is another purchase that could top off a cheap last minute Halloween costume. An afro or a colorful wig could give you costumes for several years. Think Little Mermaid, disco dancer, Bob Ross, or space/alien theme.
Even though you might be working on eliminating debt, you can still enjoy Halloween by making a few responsible choices.
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.