The temperature is rising, the plants are sprouting, and the flowers are blooming. You know what that means. Time to crawl out of that dungeon you’ve been hiding in all winter and get to work. Whether you’ve got a sprawling house to maintain or just a small apartment to clean up, now is the time. Rather than hire a professional or buy a bunch of supplies, our credit counseling advice is to look for inexpensive ways to get the job done.
Spring Cleaning Ideas
- Cheap cleaning solution: 2 cups water + 3 Tbsp vinegar + 1/2 tsp dish detergent.
- Shake it up in a spray bottle and use just like the blue stuff.
- Skip the paper towels. Use old newspapers (sounds dirty, but it leaves no dirt on the glass).
- Speaking of windows… open them up and let in some fresh air. Not fresh enough? Cut some fresh flowers (if available) and put them in a vase in your home.
- You can also find deals on things like candles, potpourri, and reed diffusers at discount stores and craft stores. This will help you stay on budget.
- Cleaning will make the biggest difference when it comes to odors.
- Cheap cleaning solution: 1 gallon water + 1/2 cup vinegar.
- Do not pour directly on the floor. Mix in a bucket, dip in your mop/sponge, and ring it out so it’s damp before hitting the floor.
All purpose, Countertops, etc.:
- Cheap cleaning solution: 2 Tbsp vinegar + 1 tsp borax + hot water + dish detergent
- Mix 1st two ingredients into spray bottle, fill the rest with hot water and mix until dissolved. Then add a few drops of dish detergent and mix again.
- Skip the paper towels again. Use old towels that you can wash and reuse.
- You can also cut up old towels to make several small rags.
- Vacuum your carpets, of course.
- But before vacuuming, sprinkle carpet powder on the carpet.
- You can buy this at your typical grocery or drugstore, or you can make your own.
- This cleans the carpet while also dispersing a pleasant smell.
*Safety Tip: Never mix bleach and ammonia. This will emit dangerous toxic fumes.
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.