Pre-bankruptcy credit counseling certification.
If you’re considering bankruptcy, you can get your pre-bankruptcy credit counseling certification in an online course from American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC). We’re a non-profit organization and debt management center offering a variety of credit counseling and debt management services to consumers nationwide.
What is credit counseling certification? Before you actually file for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, the court will require you to get a certificate that proves you have gone through credit counseling. The credit counseling certification must be issued by a non-profit credit counseling agency or debt relief company like ACCC that has been approved by the U.S. Trustees Office. To get your certification, you’ll need to complete a credit counseling session that typically lasts 60 to 90 minutes.
Sometimes referred to as a budget briefing, your credit counseling certification session will include an analysis of your current finances, a review of the events that led you to consider bankruptcy, and a discussion of the alternatives to bankruptcy, such as debt management or debt negotiation services. Your credit counselor will also help you create a plan to meet your obligations under bankruptcy without incurring more debt.
Information needed for a credit counseling certification.
When you sign up for online credit counseling certification, you’ll need to have the following information on-hand to complete the session:
- Your monthly household income.
- Your monthly household expenses.
- Information about your assets – real-estate, vehicles (including recreational), savings, and retirement accounts .
- A list of unsecured debt – what you owe on credit cards and personal loans. You won’t need account numbers – only the names of creditors and your current balance.
- A list of secured debt – things like a mortgage or car loan where the loan is secured by property or possessions of some kind.
Why choose ACCC for your credit counseling certification?
Here’s why you’ll want to choose ACCC over other credit counseling and debt reduction companies for your credit counseling certification:
- We’re approved by the Executive Office for U.S. Trustees as an official provider of pre-bankruptcy credit counseling certification.
- We provide online credit counseling certification that is easy to follow and that you can complete at your convenience.
- Our quick turnaround means you’ll get your certification fast.
- We’ll contact your attorney to make sure your certification was received, so you won’t have to worry about it.
- You can trust ACCC – we have a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of A+ and we have been in business since 1991.
- As a non-profit debt relief center, we also can help you evaluate alternatives to bankruptcy and help you choose the path out of debt that best suits your needs and financial goals.