The advantages of debt management programs
When you find yourself too deep in debt and are looking for solutions, a non-profit debt management plan may be the perfect answer. Debt management programs offer a way to pay off your debt over time while simplifying your finances and building good financial habits. Unlike debt consolidation programs, you won’t need to take out new loans. In contrast to debt settlement, you’ll be able to preserve and build your credit rating.
When you’re ready to learn more about debt management programs and other ways of addressing debt, contact the knowledgeable credit counselors at American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC). We offer reputable credit counseling services and low-cost programs that provide the answers and support you need to pay off your debt and learn to live debt-free.
How debt management programs work
Debt management with ACCC combines credit card counseling, debt consolidation, and financial education to help you pay down your debt over time – usually within 60 months.
When you enroll in a debt management program, you’ll work with an ACCC credit counselor to create a budget that will let you make payments on debt each month – but without asking you to make unreasonable sacrifices. Next, we’ll set up a payment plan with just one payment each month, simplifying your financial life. You’ll make that payment to ACCC, and we’ll take care of paying all your creditors on your behalf. Your counselor will also approach your creditors about reducing interest rates on credit cards and loans, minimizing finance charges, and eliminating late fees and over-limit fees. These steps can help to reduce the amount you owe. Your counselor might also ask creditors about re-aging your accounts – taking more time to pay off your debt – to lower your monthly payment.
The benefits of debt management programs are clear. With just one payment to make each month, you’ll feel less stressed about your finances. With a plan to pay off your debt over time, you’ll be able to start building your credit rating again. And with help from your ACCC credit counselor, you’ll get the support and expertise you need to develop sound financial habits that will let you avoid debt in the future.
ACCC: free credit counseling, low-cost debt management programs
ACCC has been providing credit counseling and debt management services to individuals and families since 1991. As a nonprofit organization, we offer free counseling and low-cost programs that deliver the education, assistance, and support consumers need to make a plan for paying off their debt.
At ACCC, you’ll work with highly trained and certified credit counselors who are experts at analyzing financial situations, evaluating all your options, and helping you find the best approach for your situation and goals. Our counselors know the world of consumer credit inside and out, and they can provide you with access to free educational materials and financial tools that can give you a solid foundation on which to build strong financial habits.
ACCC services include:
- Free credit counseling, where you can learn about the many ways to approach your financial situation
- Debt management programs, offering a simple way to pay off your unsecured debt obligations over time
- Bankruptcy counseling, including the mandated pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session required by the Department of Justice
- Student loan counseling, where you can learn about your options no matter what your loan status or how much you owe
- Housing counseling, including reverse mortgage counseling, homebuyer education and certification, and foreclosure counseling
What to expect from your first credit counseling session
Free credit counseling is one of the great benefits of working with ACCC. When you come to ACCC in search of credit card counseling, debt consolidation or debt management, our credit counselors will work with you to help you understand what your situation is, how you arrived at this point, and how you can get out of debt. We’ll walk you through all the common options for paying off debt and provide you with a personalized list of possibilities based on your financial goals. You’ll learn about the pros and cons of each approach, and how each will affect your financial future.
During your free session, your counselor may also offer you access to free educational materials and financial tools you can use to learn more about managing your money. Our goal is to provide the support, education, and know-how to find your way out of debt, develop sound financial habits, and learn to live debt-free in the future.
Why choose debt management programs with ACCC?
With debt management programs from ACCC, you’ll receive:
- Expert financial assistance. Our trained and trusted credit counselors are financial professionals who have seen every kind of situation and can recommend the best strategies for reducing debt.
- Free and low-cost services. Your initial credit counseling session is free, and the fees for our debt management programs are among the lowest in the industry. Additionally, we can waive our fees in cases of exceptional financial hardship.
- A reputable, non-profit agency. As a non-profit credit counseling service, we focus on educating consumers rather than charging them high fees. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and we are a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).
- Strict confidentiality. We know how important your personal identifying information is, and we promise to hold all of your data in the strictest of confidence.
- Outstanding service. We pride ourselves on providing support and counseling with superior customer service.
- Convenience. You can meet with a credit counselor over the phone or in person, and we offer an online chat feature for getting your questions answered quickly and confidentially. Our services are available in both English and Spanish.
FAQs: What are debt management programs?
What are debt management programs?
Debt management programs provide consumers with a simple approach to managing their unsecured debt. Under a debt management plan, you’ll make a single payment each month to a credit counseling service which will in turn pay all your creditors on your behalf. Your credit counseling agency may also seek to reduce interest rates, finance charges, late fees, and other fees to make it easier for you to pay off your debt.
What are the advantages of debt management programs?
When you have a single payment to make each month, you’ll find it easier to keep up with your plan for paying down your debt. You’ll also feel less financial stress, which can help to keep you committed to your debt management program. Additionally, debt management does not require you to take out new loans like debt consolidation programs do. And in contrast to debt settlement strategies where you stop paying your creditors to pressure them to settle with you, a debt management program will not ruin your credit rating nor expose you to legal trouble.