Take control of your finances with solid credit counsel
When your financial situation feels out of control and you’ve taken on too much debt, it may be time to seek credit counsel from a financial professional. Non-profit credit counseling services are usually offered free of charge and can provide you with invaluable access to strategies, resources, and tools. Credit counselors are experts at helping consumers manage their financial troubles and make a plan to get out of debt.
At American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC), we offer free credit counsel sessions and low-cost debt management plans that can address any financial need. When you’re ready to take control of your financial life and achieve your financial goals, the credit counselors at ACCC can help.
What to look for in a credit counsel agency
When you’re looking for help to manage your debt, choosing the right credit counseling agency is imperative. Not every agency will have your best interests in mind, and there are plenty of unscrupulous firms in the debt relief industry.
Here are some tips on choosing a firm that will provide you with the best credit counsel:
- Choose a non-profit agency. Non-profit credit counseling agencies are dedicated to educating consumers about debt and providing free or low-cost services. In contrast, for-profit firms are dedicated to making money and tend to charge hefty fees.
- Look for a reputable business with a solid track record. You’ll find the best credit counsel from firm that’s been in business at least 7 to 10 years and has a proven track record of success. Make sure the agency you choose is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and is a member of one of the national credit counseling trade organizations – either the Financial Counseling Association of America (FCAA) or the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).
- Opt for certified counselors. The counselors at the agency you choose should be certified by an independent organization to provide financial assistance and credit counsel.
- Don’t settle for unreasonable fees. Most reputable credit counseling agencies will offer reasonable fees for debt management programs – usually not more than $50 per month. And the agency should be willing to waive the fees if you simply can’t afford them.
ACCC: free credit counsel, low-cost programs
ACCC is a non-profit consumer credit counseling agency that has been providing excellent credit counsel to individuals and families since 1991. Our mission is to educate consumers about ways to get out of debt and avoid debt in the future. Our counselors are professionally trained and independently certified to provide helpful credit counsel for every kind of financial situation. They know consumer credit inside and out and can help you make a plan to address your financial troubles and relieve your financial stress.
Services at ACCC include:
- Free credit counsel. When you meet with an ACCC credit counselor, you can review options and determine the best way to handle your financial situation.
- Low-cost debt management plans. Our debt management programs let you consolidate your monthly payments, simplify your finances, and seek reductions in interest rates, finance charges, and fees.
- Bankruptcy counseling. Our services include both the mandated pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session and the required post-bankruptcy debtor education course.
- Housing assistance. We offer reverse mortgage counseling, homebuyer education and certification, and foreclosure prevention counseling.
- Student loan counseling. Explore your options for paying off your student loans, regardless of how much you owe or the status of your loans.
What to expect from a credit counsel meeting
When you come to ACCC for credit counsel, you’ll meet with a certified counselor who will help you take a clear look at your current financial situation. We’ll review your income, expenses, assets, and debts, and we’ll help you make a budget that lets you pay down your debt over time.
Your ACCC counselor will lay out all the options for managing your debt and help you understand the advantages and disadvantages of each approach. We’ll also offer a personalized list of options based on your financial goals. Your counselor will help you settle on the approach that seems best for you, and help you take the first steps toward your debt free future.
When you finish your credit counsel session with ACCC, you’ll feel better knowing there are options for dealing with your financial situation. And you’ll know that you don’t have to manage your debt alone – our team at ACCC will be with you every step of the way on your journey out of debt.
Why choose ACCC?
With credit counsel from ACCC, you can:
- Get advice from a reputable credit counseling agency. ACCC has been in the credit counseling business for three decades. We are a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC). And we are accredited with the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
- Work with highly trained counselors. ACCC’s credit counselors are professionally trained and certified by an independent organization.
- Access free and low-cost services. Your first credit counsel session at ACCC is free of charge. Fees for our debt management programs are among the lowest in the nation, and we routinely waive or reduce fees when consumers cannot afford them.
- Get free educational materials and financial tools. Your ACCC credit counselor will refer you to a wealth of educational resources that can help you improve your money management skills and learn to avoid debt in the future.
- Enjoy convenient services. Our team is available to help you six days a week in person and over the phone. We offer services in English and in Spanish.
- Expect outstanding customer service. We are committed to offering customer service that is second to none. Our counselors truly care about you and will work with you until your problems are solved.
FAQs: What is credit counsel?
What is credit counsel?
Credit counsel is financial advice from a certified credit counselor. Credit counselors are financial professionals dedicated to helping consumers address their financial problems and make a plan to get out of debt.
What are the benefits of credit counseling?
Credit counseling can help you take stock of your financial position, understand how you got there, and make a plan to solve your financial issues. Credit counseling can also address the underlying choices and circumstances that led you into debt, and provide the financial education needed to build healthy financial habits.