- Applies to members of the Uniformed Services, Reservists who have been called to Active Duty and to members of the National Guard called to Active Duty for more than 30 days pursuant to a contingency mission specified by the President or Secretary of Defense
- Limits the amount of interest that can be collected on debts to 6% per year during the period of military service
- The interest in excess of 6% per year is forgiven (rather than deferred
- Applies to all debts incurred prior to the commencement of active duty and includes interest on credit card debt, mortgages, car loans and other debt
- Does not apply to federal guaranteed student loans, but deferrals may be available
- Interest rate reduction does not occur automatically; service members must request it in writing and provide a copy of their orders
- Contact the Judge Advocate (JAG) or Legal Assistance Officer in your unit
ACCC provides links to other services but does not endorse non-ACCC websites or validate their content.