Take back your financial life with nonprofit debt counseling
Getting out of debt isn’t easy. Whether you’re dealing with high credit card balances, unending student loans, or unpaid bills, every day can feel like an uphill battle.
Nonprofit debt counseling can be the key to taking control of your financial life again. With help from a certified credit counselor, you can get a clear picture of your situation, understand how you got there, and create a plan that will help you become debt-free over time.
At American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC), we offer free credit counseling services and low-cost debt management programs that have helped thousands of people like you to resolve their financial troubles. When you’re ready to start your journey out of debt, credit counselors from ACCC can help.
Why nonprofit matters in debt counseling
When seeking to reduce your debt, you’ll get lots of offers from for-profit companies that promise to settle your debt for pennies on the dollar. These firms typically ask you to stop paying your creditors and to make payments to an escrow account instead. Once you’ve built up a certain amount of cash, the for-profit firms will approach your creditors and offer to settle your debt for less than what you actually owe. In exchange for these services, for-profit firms will charge hefty fees.
There are several problems with this approach. First, there’s no guarantee that your creditors will accept a settlement. They may choose to take legal action instead and to impose additional fees that can leave you deeper in debt. Second, this approach can ruin your credit. Finally, attempting to solve your debt issues in this way does nothing to address the reasons or circumstances you fell into debt in the first place. Consequently, some people who use for-profit agencies may find themselves in debt again.
In contrast, you’ll pay little or nothing for nonprofit debt counseling services. A not-for-profit credit counseling service won’t ask you to stop paying your creditors. Instead, they’ll help you create a budget and a plan for paying off your debt over time – and in ways that won’t ruin your credit. They’ll also contact your creditors to seek reductions in interest rates and to prevent late fees and over-limit fees. And nonprofit debt counseling services typically offer free educational resources that can help you learn to take control of your finances and to live debt-free in the future.
ACCC: a premier nonprofit debt counseling service
ACCC was founded in 1991 and has been helping consumers take control of their financial lives for three decades. Through free credit counseling and low-cost debt management programs, we help consumers pay off their debts and achieve their financial goals. Our highly trained and certified counselors are experts at understanding money problems, reviewing all the possible solutions, and helping each consumer develop a plan that best fits their needs. With non-profit consumer credit counseling from ACCC, you can be sure you’ll receive the highest level of client care and the support you need to live a debt-free life.
When you come to ACCC for consumer credit and debt counseling services, you can receive a free counseling session where our debt counselors will help you get a complete picture of your financial situation. We’ll review your income, expenses, assets, and debts in detail and present you with personalized options based on your financial goals. While our team may offer recommendations, the decision for how best to deal with your debt is up to you.
At the end of your first session, you’ll feel a sense of relief knowing that you have options for managing your debt and that ACCC will be there to help you at every step on your journey to financial health.
What a debt management program can do for you
To pay off their debts, many of our clients choose to enroll in a debt management program. Under this arrangement, we’ll help you develop a budget you can live with while you pay off your debts over time. To make it easier to manage your finances, you’ll consolidate all your monthly payments to creditors into a single payment to ACCC instead. Our team will then be responsible for paying each of your creditors on your behalf, ensuring that payments are made on time. We’ll also contact your creditors to ask for reductions in interest rates, finance charges, late fees, and over-limit fees, or for more time to pay off your debts. This approach lets you simplify your finances – you’ll have just one payment to make each month – and pay off your debt within five years in most cases, without ruining your credit rating.
ACCC: What are the benefits?
Here’s what you can expect when you choose ACCC for nonprofit debt counseling.
- Expertise backed by experience. At ACCC, we have three decades of experience in the credit counseling industry. Our trusted counselors are certified and highly trained in strategies for managing debt.
- Free services and low-cost programs. Your initial credit counseling at ACCC is completely free of charge. And our fees for our debt management program are among the lowest in the industry.
- Educational resources. Our educational tools and resources are designed to help you manage money more effectively and to live a life free of debt.
- Confidentiality. We recognize the importance of protecting your personal information, and all your details will be held in the strictest of confidence.
- Exceptional customer service. Our team is committed to providing a superior customer service experience. We are available to assist you six days a week.
- An agency that is on your side. At ACCC, you’ll find counselors that care about you and a team that will work with you until your financial problems are solved.
- Convenience and dependability. In our debt management program, we’ll handle all the details of interacting with your creditors. You can always count on us to get things done.
- Ongoing support. We are here to support you as long as you need help with your financial situation.
- Multiple ways to communicate. We offer services in person and over the phone, and you can get questions answered confidentially and quickly through our online chat feature.
- A reputable company. ACCC is accredited through the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating, and we’re a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).
FAQs: What is non-profit debt counseling?
What is nonprofit debt counseling?
Non-profit debt counseling is a service that helps consumers take control of their financial lives and find a path out of debt. Nonprofit debt counseling typically includes free credit counseling sessions and low-cost debt management plans, along with counseling around bankruptcy, housing, student loans, and other financial matters.
What are the benefits of nonprofit debt counseling vs. for-profit debt relief?
Nonprofit agencies offer credit counseling and debt management services at little to no cost to the consumer. For-profit debt relief counseling agencies typically charge significant fees for their services. Nonprofit agencies are focused on educating consumers about sound financial habits and helping to resolve debt without damaging the consumer’s credit rating. For-profit debt relief agencies often engage in aggressive tactics that can ruin credit ratings and may lead to legal problems.