How to Identify Reputable Debt Consolidation Companies
Debt consolidation can help you bring order to an out-of-control debt problem. Unfortunately, because consumers struggling with debt are often in a vulnerable position, some debt consolidation companies will exploit that vulnerability. They may charge exorbitant interest rates or fees, or make promises that they can’t keep. The good news is that there are some simple ways to identify reputable debt consolidation companies that will treat you fairly.
A Short Checklist for Reputable Debt Consolidation Companies
How can you find reputable debt consolidation companies? Here are a few straightforward checkpoints to make sure you’re working with a solid company. This information should be available on the internet:
- Check to see how long the company has been in business. By working with a debt consolidation firm that’s been around for many years, you eliminate the chance of falling victim to a “fly by night” company that’s looking to make a quick buck.
- Reputable debt relief companies are licensed in the states in which they do business.
- Reputable debt consolidation companies should belong to a national trade association that sets service standards for its member businesses.
- Accreditation by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) is another good way to identify reputable debt consolidation companies. The BBB also rates companies on an A to F scale. Check the BBB website for your state.
- Some debt relief agencies are non-profit organizations. Working with a non-profit makes it likely that you won’t pay overly high fees for a consolidation program.
ACCC: The Debt Consolidation Company That’s On Your Side
If you’re looking for reputable debt consolidation companies, you can do no better than American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC). One of the nation’s leading debt management agencies, ACCC is an organization that you can trust for debt consolidation expertise and dedicated customer service:
- We’ve been helping individuals and families overcome their debt problems for more than 22 years.
- We are licensed in all 50 states.
- We belong to the Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies (AICCCA), which requires its members to adhere to strict high-quality service standards.
- We are accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
- We are a non-profit (501)(c)(3) organization.
For debt consolidation information from ACCC, call for a free debt counseling session. Take the first step toward a debt-free future.