We spend a lot more time inside our homes in winter than during the summer months. You may start to feel some cabin fever or some excess clutter or grime on everything as a result of being stuck inside so much. These winter cleaning tips can help you make your home feel fresh and clean to combat all those winter germs. The DIY hacks also help you save money so you can keep progressing with debt management.
Winter Cleaning Tips to Follow
DIY Tips & Hacks:
- DIY All-Purpose Cleaner. This is a personal favorite. Mix together 1 tsp of Dawn soap, 1/2 cup of white vinegar, 2 cups of water & 1 tsp of baking soda. Put it in a spray bottle and voila! You have an all-purpose cleaner. Use it to clean things like kitchen grease, your bathtub or shower, or anything, really! It’s a lifesaver both in the home and for a tight budget.
- Oven Rack Hack. There’s nothing worse than cleaning your oven. Fortunately, this hack is SO easy and cheap. Just fill up your tub with warm water, some dish washing soap, and 4-5 dryer sheets. Let them soak. After soaking, run warm water from the faucet & use the dryer sheets to wipe down the racks. All that grease will literally slide right off. They’ll be good as new! It sounds weird, but this winter cleaning tip works and saves you from scrubbing away for hours.
Winter Cleaning Areas to Focus On:
- Clean vents & filters. A lot of dust builds up over the course of the year and winter can get especially stuffy. Take the time to clean out the vents and filters in your house to ensure you and your family are getting the cleanest air. It’s important because you probably won’t have the windows open for fresh air like in the summer!
- Winterize doors. Patch up any cracks, creases, or drafty areas of your home. Save on your heating costs by preventing from cold air getting in!
- Disinfect everything. It’s cold and flu season, so disinfection is naturally a staple of winter cleaning. Get ahead of the game by disinfecting door handles, toilets, faucets, and other common-touch items. Stop the spread of illness in it’s tracks!
- Get in hard-to-reach places. It may not sound fun, but cleaning behind the fridge, ceiling fans, pantries, and other hard to reach places is crucial. Don’t forget about cleaning behind large pieces of furniture like couches or beds to get that dust out! While you’re at it, consider rearranging the furniture so your home feels good as new for the winter months.
It’s always a good idea to save money where you can. If you’re working on reducing credit card debt, saving every penny is even more crucial. These winter cleaning tips should help you sail through winter with limited costs!
If you’re struggling to pay off debt, ACCC can help. Schedule a free credit counseling session with us today.